Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Going up to McNeil Point will hopefully sustain me for the long Oregon winter. Always having to guard myself against depression which may set in this time of year -- although I never went off the anti-depressant, which I usually do in summer, so maybe this Fall will be better.
Maybe being part of the Health Management Group will help also.

Yesterday, saw Dr. A. Left me a bit depressed most of the day -- maybe because the rains set in on Sunday -- and everyone seems to be a little down now. I was her first patient -- and I asked her what direction I should head. Her response was that did it matter what she thought, since I'd do whatever I liked anyways. She didn't say it attackingly, and obviously something else was going on. OK -- so it turns out she now has 3 teenagers in the house, and I think she was probably saying it more to her 17 year old son, than me.
We're still waiting for the result of my Fuzeon Resistance test to come back -- probably this week. She also said she would present my case to the weekly doctor's meeting they have on Thursday.
We talked about whether to go on TMC-125, or MK-0518. Dr. A didn't feel there wasn't much of a different, especially since the merck drug is so new and may have unknown problems. But my research suggest otherwise. I already have 4 NNRTI mutations, and studies show that for people with that many mutations, there is only a .52 log drop in virus, as opposed to someone without any mutations achieving a 1.6 log drop. That is quite a difference.
Also, found out from Dr. A. that there were only 1000 or so slots available for MK-0518 in expanded access, and if I waited until Kaiser was approved as an expanded access site in January, they would probably all be gone by then. It was recommended that I go ahead and call the other site in town, The Research and Education Group, and get on their list. So, when I go home, I called them, and talked to Toni, and she put me as number 4 on their list.
Now, my concern is that I may have to make a decision to go ahead and take the Intergrase, even if my viral load (which is now 27,000) and t-cells (260) stay stable, when I would prefer and wait until a decline.
Decisions.
I think of the mountain.

No comments: